For some, leadership comes naturally. For others, becoming a truly successful leader requires years of education, experience, observation and formal training.
But almost every lawyer is capable of becoming an effective leader within her organization. And while it may seem intimidating, acquiring leadership responsibilities and building professional confidence is a clear path to career advancement.
At the DLA Piper Global Women’s Leadership Summit panel, “Guiding the Present, Shaping the Future: Developing Strategies to Build and Lead Law Departments,” five speakers in various stages of their careers will take on the topic of leadership and best practices for in-house lawyers to build leadership skills.
The GC role has significantly evolved over the past decade. Senior-level in-house counsel are relied upon to be strong, capable legal advisers, true business partners and effective leaders.
The speakers for the panel on this topic are:
- Linda F. Friedman, senior vice president, general counsel and secretary at Astellas US LLC
- Maryanne R. Lavan, senior vice president, general counsel and corporate secretary at Lockheed Martin Corp.
- Rena Hozore Reiss, executive vice president, general counsel and secretary at Hyatt Hotels Corp.
- Kim K. W. Rucker, executive vice president, corporate and legal Affairs, general counsel and corporate secretary at Kraft Foods, Inc.
- Gloria Santona, executive vice president, general counsel and secretary at McDonald’s Corp.
These GCs will discuss the role leadership skills play in establishing, building, managing and restructuring legal departments. They will offer insights into what works and what doesn’t, how to collaborate across teams, how to anticipate change and how to create a positive legacy for your organization and community.